Our second horror/dark fantasy anthology will be based upon items purchased from a shady dealer. You may have seen him outside your office in the business district with a table stand or in your neighborhood selling items from inside his van. Perhaps he was just walking by and selling items retrieved from inside his coat. Jewelry, electronics, clothing, toiletries, cleaning supplies and even food—The man always has a bargain for his customers…a deadly bargain, as the salesman is not what he seems!
Description of the Dealer: The dealer’s name can vary depending on which nationalities or environments he encounters; however, his appearance needs to be the same throughout the book. The dealer is about approximately five-foot eight, has olive skin and dreadlocks. He always looks overdressed, wearing several layers of mismatched clothing. He is handsome in an exotic way yet no one can place his nationality. He has almond shaped eyes that could appear Asian, but a broad nose and full lips that lean more toward African ancestry. The appearance of freckles dots his cheeks and he possesses coal black eyes.
What We Want
For the second Colors in Darkness anthology, we are seeking, thirteen well-written, diverse tales of horror, paranormal and dark fantasy. Each story should mention some interaction with the ‘Dealer.’ Stories can range from subtle paranormal to terrifying horror and can take place at any point in history.
▪ Submit your work to ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) with ‘CID Dealer: Story Title_Your Last Name’ in the subject line. Attach your story as a DOC or DOCX file. Submissions sent in the body of the email will not be read.
▪ Include a brief cover letter in the body of your email stating your name, pen name (if using one), story title with word count, a brief summary of your story, website or blog, and any professional publication credits you think might interest us.
▪ We are looking for works between 3,000-7,500 words. Please query if you wish to submit outside of these guidelines.
▪ No simultaneous submissions, please. We ask that you don’t submit a story to us and to another market at the same time.
▪ Multiple submissions are okay. If sending more than one story, please send them in separate emails.
We are not accepting reprints for this anthology.
We will pay a flat rate of $20 US per story via PayPal only. Payment will be made within 30 days of publication. Authors will also receive one digital and one print copy of the anthology.
We are seeking exclusive Worldwide English Language rights for 12 months in print and digital formats.
Authors from outside of the United States are welcome.
Submission Deadline and Publication Schedule
We will be accepting submissions from April 15 – July 15, 2018, with the expectation that the announcement of stories selected will be announced by the end of August. The anthology is expected to be published by October 1st.